Sunday, May 24, 2009

Overnight Fishing and Crabbing on the Ventura Pier

So while me and my girlfriend were home cooking our crab from our last fishing trip to Ventura we decided we would try to go over night and see if we might have more luck with the fish this time. Last time we didn’t catch one fish.

So we left our house at about 8pm and didn’t get to the Ventura Pier till about 9pm. We set up the nets and poles right away. Within the first 5 minutes I had two fish in my line. The first sure were hungry at night. We stayed out till about 2 in the morning just pulling fish after fish in. We ended the night with 5 perch and about 15 of these other smaller fish that I was using for crab bait in my nets. The only bummer about the night fishing and crabbing was that we didnt get any crabs.

So we nap a little bit and come back out to fish at around 5 am. We set everything out and got started. After about an hour we had only caught one fish. But right at about 6am the crab started to come. We were pulling in about 6 crab an hour. We were even catching crabs with out fishing lines. Another very cool event that happened was that while I was pulling in one of the nets I saw my pole had someone biting on it. I finished pulling the net up and then started to reel in my line. I was actually having to struggle to get what ever was on my line up. Once I could see what I had caught I realized it was a string ray. It was about 2 feet long. It was very exciting but I threw it back because I was not going to eat it.



After that things slowed down at around 7am. We didnt catching anything else until about 12 noon. That is about the time the crabs were out again. After pulling in about 4 decent sized crabs we decided to start packing up the poles to get ready to go. Once the poles were ready to go we started to pull up the nets for the last time. The last net I pulled up had a large spider crab. It was a great way to end the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment